We support a large range of projects across all areas of the hospital.
There are currently 70 ongoing projects supported by the QI team.
There are a further 21 projects in preparation.
There are 17 sustained projects supported by the QI team.
Updated May 2019
These are projects which have been completed, and have shown sustained improvement in their areas. A new process to check sustainment of each project started in 2017.
- AKI - Nursing knowledge of acute kidney injury (AKI): Raising awareness of AKI amongst nursing staff.
- Atrial fibrillation in ED: Improving management of patients presenting to A&E with isolated Atrial Fibrillation by developing a new pathway for Atrial Fibrillation in the Emergency Department.
- Blood culture contamination: Reducing the number of contaminated blood cultures taken across the hospital.
- CRISIS quality of referrals: Improving the quality of referrals to the Emergency Mental Health team at Northamptonshire Healthcare Foundation Trust
- Disease Modifying Therapy awareness campaign: To increase awareness and knowledge of Disease Modifying Therapies (DMT) amongst junior doctors and pharmacists in order to improve patient care and safety.
- Documentation of vital signs on EAU/Benham: Increasing the accessability and documentation of observations and National Early Warning Scores.
- Facial dog bites: Improving the management of patient's with dog bites to the face.
- Gynae Emergency Bags: Reducing the time taken to commence examination for a gynae emergency through the introduction of an emergency grab bag.
- Jaundice Clinic: Reducing the average wait time for urgent appointments in the childrens department by introducing a new SHO-led clinic for babies with prolonged jaundice.
- Lung MDT Efficiency: Improving the effectiveness of the lung MDT by the introduction of a new agenda, enhanced referral process and increasing the accessability of essential patient information.
- MUST Score compliance on Collingtree ward: Improving documentation of patients' MUST score through education and increased awareness.
- Paediatric Clerking Pro forma: Improving documentation on admission for paediatric patients
- Rituximab infusion: Reducing the length of stay for patients who receive Rituxamib, through the introduction of an accelerated infusion.
- Sick Day guidance in primary care: Informing patients about sick day guidance, to stop nephrotoxic medication during dehydrating illnesses in order to avoid development of AKI.
- Stroke Patient updates: Improving patient and carer satisfaction with frequency and quality of updates.
- Ten Minute Conversation: Improving co-ordination and communication within the adult cardiac arrest team by implementing a short daily briefing.
- Topical Prophylaxis Compliance in Surgery: Improving topical prophylactic prescription in surgery to reduce the incidence of infection.
Junior Doctor Led
- Antibiotic Infusion Process:To reduce the LOS for patients in ICU on Piperacillin/Tazobactum by Jan 2019.
- Brain RT for kidney cancer patients: To reduce the time taken for patients with secondary brain metastasis from a primary kidney cancer to be discussed at the Oxford MDT to <7 days.
- Dermatology Consent: Reducing the number of overrrun clinics and lists, as well as the number of rearranged appointments by obtaining consent for a procedure in a previous clinic
- Dr Toolbox: Improving rotation for foundation doctors through the incorporation of handover survival guides on the Dr Toolbox app.
- Documentation of Assessment of Unwell Surgical patients: Improving the documentation of unwell surgical patients
- Ferinject: Introducing the use of Ferinject as an alternative to blood transfusion to optimise patients with low Hb pre-operatively.
- HDU handover: Introducing a handover pro forma for patients admitted to HDU after an operation, to improve their management.
- Manual Vacuum Aspiration: Introduction of Manual Vacuum Aspiration at NGH as an alternative to inpatient surgical management of miscarriage.
- MUST score compliance: Improving referrals to the dietician for malnourished patients on Collingtree ward.
- Nurse Authorisation of Bloods in Haematology: To To have 50% of transfusion-dependent patients with MDS to have nurse-led authorisation of blood products within the haematology day unit by July 2018
- Pleural procedures: For at least 80% of all patients undergoing pleural puncture in A&E to leave the department with a care plan in place, by May 2018
- Right Iliac Fossa Pain pathway: Introducing a new pathway for management of patients presenting with right iliac fossa pain to NGH.
- Stethoscope Hygiene: Reducing the frequency of pathogenic organism colonisation on the surface of the diaphragm of stethoscopes.
- Stroke Patient Updates: Improving the frequency and quality of stroke patient updates via diagnosis packs and the implementation of a weekly proforma from MDT.
- Stock Management: Introduction of a stock management tool in GP practices to ensure all equipment is available and in date.
- Tongue Tie Leaflet: To increase patient and public knowledge of tongue tie services for new-borns in the Maxillofacial department.
- Diabetes Care: To prove the use of a specialist diabetes transition nurse reduces no of diabetes hospital related episodes.
- Emergency Theatre Efficiency: 3 projects concurrently running to improve the efficiency for emergency theatres; with a focus on start times, turnaround times and finish times.
- Improving Surgical Marking Practice: Increasing all 7 components of national and local surgical marking, on surgical wards.
Nursing & Midwifery or Allied Health Professional Led projects
AKI - Improving monitoring of patients with acute kidney injury: Improving awareness of patients with AKI on Creaton ward, and ensuring fluid output and urine dip analysis are recorded correctly.
- Blood Culture Contamination Rates: Reducing the percentage of false positive blood cultures in ED.
- ED Telephone Triage: Trialling a new local telephone triage system to reduce the number of inappropriate referrals to ED.
- NICU developmental positioning proficiency: Improving the nursing staff and healthcare assistants knowledge and skills in developmental care positioning for preterm babies.
- Midwifery Advocacy Peer Support( MaPs): Improving the support midwives in psychological distress receive from their peers through the introduction of a novel 'psychological first aid' training package.
- Mental Health Awareness in ED: Improving staff knowledge and awareness in managing patients with acute or severe mental illness.
- Opioid Weaning Regime: Increasing the rates of withdrawal from opioids in the surgical division.
- Paediatric/Infant Basic Life Support leaflet: producing a new leaflet for parents to use so they know how to perform basic life support.
- Take 5 : Increasing communication within maternity wards via the re-introduction of the Take 5 Communication Tool.
- Ultrasound referrals: Reducing the number of rejected (and inappropriate) referrals to NGH from GPs.
- Patient Safety App: Introduction of a new patient safety app and alert system allowing patients / carers to report real-time data on patient safety.
Support Led projects
- Food waste: Reducing the number of uneaten meals on the stroke ward by offering alternative menus and better access to food.
- T 34 Pumps: Reduce the number of 'lost in action' T34 pumps, used for end of life care.
Patient Led projects
- AKI patient leaflet: Designing a new patient information leaflet for Acute Kidney Injury
Pascal Safety Culture Improvement Work
- ED Clinical Observation Area
- Rapid assessment for minor paediatric patients
- Addressing staff burnout and improving staff support