Your professional and practice development is supported by our practice development team. Our specialist teams make sure you can flourish in your role, whether you’re taking your first steps in providing care, specialising in your area of interest, or developing as a leader.
practice development collage
We work with our nurses - including pre-registration nurses from The Open University and The University of Northampton – our midwives and support workers to identify your career aspirations and map out how we can make them happen.
Pathway to Excellence
We are proud to be the first UK hospital to achieve Pathways to Excellence designation. This means we are recognised as being a workplace that encourages nurse development.
We know the importance of our staff being confident, autonomous practitioners who value patient safety above all else. To ensure you are able to practice effectively we facilitate a range of clinical skills programmes for allied health professionals, support workers and nurses.
Our clinical skills facilitators support you in lots of ways:
- we deliver purposefully-designed programmes led by field specialists and bespoke ward-based training to up-skill you in practice.
- we produce many of the policies that drive our constantly-evolving education.
- we are directly involved in the groups that drive forward policy and practice improvements, like the medications safety group and the medicines optimization committee, making sure that your training reflects best practice.
- We are the representative link for medical devices and products, signposting you to resources that could benefit you in your area of care.
- we are involved with quality assurance measures and audits to ensure we’re delivering best practice care. We promote this further with bespoke clinical supervision, individual ward-based assessments and action planning.
Our on-site base in training and development means we can give you individual face-to-face support as well as being there for any issues that you need advice or support with.
Clinical skills training portfolio
We ensure that our training is relevant and accessible to you. Our training portfolio includes:
- cannulation and IV study
- drug calculations
- blood transfusions
- glucometer and urine meter training
- NG tube/enteral feeding training
- diabetes training.
We also facilitate bespoke learning packages for our overseas recruits which includes OSCE preparation and assistance.
We support you in engaging with and completing the revalidation process. We value your professional growth and encourage you to embrace opportunities through the training we offer. This means you can be confident of achieving revalidation, allowing you to remain focused on your role.