We are a regional hub serving Northamptonshire and North Bucks providing in-patient and out-patient services from radiotherapy, brachytherapy and chemotherapy. Our cancer services department has a dedicated team of cancer trackers who ensure a patients journey is monitored from referral, through to treatment. This ensures we comply with national cancer targets, it also ensures patients who are diagnosed with cancer do not incur any unnecessary delays whilst awaiting treatment to commence.
Types of cancer:
- Brain tumours
- Breast cancer
- CUP (Cancers of unknown primary)
- GI cancer
- Gynaecological cancer
- Head & neck cancer
- Lung cancer
- Skin cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Urological cancer
- Haematological cancer
We have a specialist cancer centre serving Northamptonshire, Milton Keynes and further afield. We are also a regional centre in administration of Brachytherapy. The majority of our services have been brought together in the Oncology Centre at Northampton.
Services at Northampton General Hospital include:
- Extensive facilities for Haematology patients in our state of the art day case unit and clinic facility.
- Nuclear medicine: purpose built facilities which have three new imaging or scanning machines called gamma cameras to view structure of organs. Another is used to look at heart blood flow and function.
- We have a dedicated chemotherapy suite based in the oncology centre.
- A specialist radiotherapy referral centre treating local patients, as well as those further afield from Milton Keynes, Kettering and Corby.
- Macmillan information support centre for any advice and information relating to cancer including partnership arrangements with the department of work and pensions and citizens advice bureau.
- A dedicated cancer ward providing support from consultant oncologists and haematologists. The ward is one of few in the UK with an emergency assessment bay for patients who encounter problems during chemotherapy treatment who require assessment by oncology doctors.
More information about services within oncology can be found by clicking the links below: