We promote a culture of continuous learning and development for our staff, from student placements right through to our most experienced employees.
Our student placement programme for nurses is known as PL@N (Practice Learning at Northampton General Hospital). Our PL@N nurses are identifiable by the turquoise stripes on the sleeve of their uniforms, which are white with blue piping
PL@N incorporates the principles of collaborative learning and coaching which means that the whole ward team is involved. Our students receive regular coaching sessions, both on the ward as they deliver care to patients and with training and learning sessions away from the ward.
With the advent of PL@N, our pre-registration professionals have the support of their PL@N Educator to ensure they can practice positively in a safe environment. Supportive and innovative, this model of clinical education was designed here at NGH to give our students valuable and rewarding experiences at ward level.
Clinical placement team
At the heart of our Practice Development Hub is our clinical placement facilitation team. The team manages the practice placements for all our pre-registration professionals and related student activity.
The team provides support to our learners in a variety of ways:
- We ensure hospital-based administration is in place for our pre-registration professionals - from uniforms and name badges to mandatory training and PIN codes - so you can concentrate on the important stuff.
- We offer NMC-validated programmes of study for mentors, alongside bespoke preparation and updates to ensure our students are supported whilst in practice.
- We also offer face-to-face training and user guides relating to completing pre-registration portfolios and other evidence of practice education.
- We ensure the suitability of our placement learning opportunities and verify that we adhere to the requirements of relevant validating bodies.
- We liaise at local and national levels to maintain and comply with the academic values and legislative strategies of partners and governing bodies alike.
- We complete quality assurance measures and audits relating to the suitability and quality of our many and varied practice areas as we continue to support our pre-registration professionals.